Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Peanut Butter

While shopping yesterday, I noticed that my favorite peanut butter (contains: peanuts) is 43% more expensive per ounce than the popular brand (contains: peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, hydrogenated oils, salt).

How can that possibly be the case? Are peanuts that much more expensive than corn syrup? All they have to do to manufacture my PB is grind the nuts and pour the product into the jar. The other brand requires measuring, mixing, stirring, and who knows what else. Not to mention peanuts go into PB with very little effort (they are simply dried after picking), while the other ingredients require entirely separate processing routines before arriving at the PB factory.

I can just see the PB executives in their conference rooms. "Oooh, let's take out all the superfluous ingredients, simplify our manufacturing process, and double the price!"

Hmpf. Perhaps I should buy some Smucker's stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment